From the year 1828 hundreds of convicts laboured to construct the first stone buildings in Brisbane, The Colonial Stores Building and the Old Windmill. The goal served the convict population in this way for the next 17 years.
In 1841 three distinct areas were established, North Brisbane, Kangaroo Point and South Brisbane. Later in 1842, the district was opened to free settlers. In 1859 Queensland was named in honour of the reigning Queen of England and it became a separate colony from New South Wales. With an ever-increasing population which had by this time reached 6,000 Brisbane was made the capital.
The following gallery shows photographs of Brisbane taken from close to the same locations in 1860 and 1886 showing the development and growth of the city.
Bowen Terrace Brisbane Claremont Cleveland Derwent River Fortitude Valley Glenora Highfields Hobart Huonville Kangaroo Point Launceston Main Range Mary River Mount Morgan New Town Norfolk Island Queensland Queensport Ravenswood Risdon Sandy Bay Tasmania Waddamana Wickham Terrace