Coloured photograph of the Penstock and Waddamana Power Station (first power-station in the Tasmanian Highlands). Waddamana, Central Highlands, Tasmania, Australia. Original photo published 1923.
Development of Waddamana Power Station and the scheme commenced in 1910 through a private company, however financial struggles forced a sale to the Tasmanian government in 1914. Tasmania’s Hydro-Electric Department was formed to continue the ambitious development.
Construction in this isolated region was difficult, with limited access in for workers, supplies and equipment. However the resilience and determination of the Central Highlands’ people prevailed, with Waddamana A Power Station commissioned in 1916 with two operational generators.
This visionary development deep in the centre of Tasmania was officially opened with great ceremony by Governor-General Sir Ronald Munro-Ferguson on 6 May 1916 and heralded Tasmania’s move into the industrial age. [Hydro Tasmania. Waddamana Heritage Site.]
The National Archives UK Flikr
Bowen Terrace Brisbane Claremont Cleveland Derwent River Fortitude Valley Glenora Highfields Hobart Huonville Kangaroo Point Launceston Main Range Mary River Mount Morgan New Town Norfolk Island Queensland Queensport Ravenswood Risdon Sandy Bay Tasmania Waddamana Wickham Terrace